How to Lead a Fly Life
How to Lead a Fly Life:
Words of Wisdom from Will Smith
By: Meg Humphrey
We all know that going to YouTube and searching “Will Smith _______” will lead to a bevy of classic interviews on staying focused, motivated, and true to yourself. But let’s not overlook the pearls of wisdom that Will has mixed in with his fresh beats. Here are the top 10 things I’ve learned from listening to the Prince of Bel Air’s hits.
1. “Got no love for the haters – they hate us,” (Getting Jiggy With it). It took me a long time to learn that you shouldn’t care about people who don’t like you. This is something everyone needs to learn a lot earlier (it would certainly make high school and college easier).
2. “If you ever get near us, don’t jeer us, we’re fearless,” (Men in Black). Don’t harass people. Ever. Whether it’s the cop who has to break up your house party or the bigger person working out at the gym or the cosplayer that you don’t think is up to par – it takes a lot of courage for them to do whatever they’re doing. If you can’t manage to say something nice or be cooperative then keep your mouth shut. They don’t want your opinion anyway.
3. “Studied the ways of the game and made it / Came through the maze and the haze and played it perfect / Days any person hated and cursed him, he was unfazed / He waited, it was worth it, he never retaliated,” (Party Starter). If you want to be good at something you have to work hard at it. You have to keep chugging along even though you’re criticized and bad mouthed. Stay on track, ignore anything that isn’t constructive, and persevere.
4. “It ain’t where we been, it’s where we gonna be,” (Will2K). Maybe you had a bad day/month/year/lifetime. Maybe it’s been really great. Awesome. Guess what? That’s all in the past. Sure, you’re only where you are because of what’s previously happened, but you have the power to change that for better or worse.
5. “But don’t download, go out and buy the record,” (Switch). Seriously. If you spend $5 on coffee every morning or drop $50 or more every time you walk into a book store, you can go buy a CD or DVD. It feels email@example.com